Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why Not?

When I want to try something new, or something that others might not think will work well, I ask myself "Why not?" If I can't give myself a good strong reason not to do something, I go forward to try doing it. The word impossible doesn't work well for me. "It hasn't seemed possible thus far," is as close as I can get to that. Admittedly, I have done a number of foolish things in the course of my life, and not everything I have tried has worked out the way I would have liked. Sometimes failure is my answer to "Why not?" I don't stand on the spot crying a lot. My attitude has been, "Well, that certainly doesn't work for me!"

My philosophy of life can be summarized in one sentence: "When the known isn't acceptable, try a hitherto unknown." If nothing else, that philosophy has given me a resume of life experience that says, "Been there. Done that!" about a lot of things. I've been an exceptionally bright, but decidedly "thick" person most of my life. You can tell me what to do and how to do it, and I enjoy listening, but until I have done it myself, I just don't "get it". I credit God with the fact that I didn't try to jump off the roof of my parents' home when I was a child in order to see if I could fly. I think that's simply because I didn't have any great desire to fly. Some people are born with common sense. The rest of us learn through sometimes painful experience. Pain passes. Learning is possible. I share The Blunders of Beth freely with anyone who has a real interest and might be able to learn through hearing. I hug the rest and help to dry a lot of tears. Those are the people that I laugh with the most. Surviving our own foolishness is cause for laughter.