Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Grandma Moses Is My Mentor

Some of us are late bloomers. Since I'm a believer in happy endings, that's just fine with me. If I had joined a track team, I would have gone for cross country racing. I'm here for the long haul. Having been born with the common sense of a flea, it took me a while to know that there was even a clue to get, let alone get one. I was born a bit brighter than the average apricot, but thicker than a rain forest, so it's taken some time to clear a path and to get out of my own way. The good news is: those who follow behind me won't have as much work to do! I gladly record my blunders, grateful to know that I was wrong. I've found that all I have to do when I am wrong is to turn around and do the opposite. It works every time.I was told that wisdom comes from learning from our mistakes. Having made more than most, I have a wealth of information to draw conclusions from. Walking now on firmer ground, with my feet set free of the undergrowth, I have decided that I will walk through life from here on. I danced the cha cha a lot in my youth (three steps forward, two steps back) and it got me slowly to where I am now. Walking now looks like a better option. It's not as tiring (at my age that needs some consideration) and no matter how slowly I go I seem to be gaining ground more rapidly than in my past. Could it be...? Dare I hope...? Common Sense?